Just getting started. Should I try wigs first?

Sort this thread: Rate this post:
  • chompie

Just getting started. Should I try wigs first?

• Posts 1
    • chompie is not online. Last active: 04-23-2019, 11:45 AM
    • Connect

First off, thanks to everybody that posts their stories and pictures on here. I don't have hope that I'll ever have my real hair back (I went through that grieving process years ago) but I do have hope that I can live normally and not be constantly aware of how my hair looks. I've seen a lot of women that look great and natural in their systems so I have hope that I can find a good solution for myself as well.

I started noticing hair loss when I was around 21. At around 23, I ordered the Hair Direct Women's fitting kit but backed out.  At the time, I think, my hair loss wasn't that bad, but the process of losing hair prompted me to research my options. I've always had fine hair since I was young, so my hair loss in these past few years has created a noticeable difference in my appearance. 

I'm 28 now, and I'm at the point where dark dry shampoo isn't masking my problems, and my hair just looks... stringy and bad. I pretty much have diffuse hair loss all over my scalp. If you were to part my hair anywhere on the top or on the sides, you would get a jagged part with bald segments and see miniaturization of my follicles. I also just recently went to a theme park on vacation with my boyfriend and he took a picture of us right as we were coming off a water ride, in the bright hot sun, and when I saw the picture I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. I also find myself avoiding friends that I haven't seen in a while because I don't want them to see the dramatic change. I also avoid visiting my mother because she always comments on my hair loss. It sounds stupid but thinking about it is bring tears to my eyes right now... 

Anyway, TMI, after writing all that it's pretty obvious to me that I am ready to start wearing hair. The process of doing research is overwhelming. For one, this forum is really the only place I've been able to find information from female real life users of hair systems. There is plenty for men (even a guy that has a youtube channel about his hair system journey; his hair looks great, I must admit) but it seems like women have different things to consider vs men when it comes to systems. I also am wondering if I should start with a system if I have never worn hair before. 

I'm at the point where I'm ready to shave it all off because I'm sick of it. However, I don't want to be hasty because I am relatively young and I don't know exactly what I am committing to. I would estimate I still have 60% of my bio hair left but I'm sure if I started shaving and bonding that would make wearing my bio hair no longer an option for me. Would any of you recommend starting with a wig first? I've never really changed my hair dramatically in the past so I don't want to go through too many changes and call attention to myself. 

Thanks to anybody that answers. Sorry for the wall of text. 

• HD-NicoleM

Re: Just getting started. Should I try wigs first?

• Posts 75
    • HD-NicoleM is not online. Last active: 04-08-2019, 9:34 AM
    • Connect

Hi Chompie,

Taking the first step to wearing hair can definitely be daunting. We want to make sure you're making the best decision for you. I am happy to speak with you to discuss the various options that may be available to you, offering pros and cons, to help make the decision easier. You're welcome to reach out to me directly with any questions that you have. I would be happy to discuss the differences of our custom hair systems, and the wigs we also offer online. You may email me directly at nicolem@hairdirect.com.  

Nicole | Hair Tech | nicolem@hairdirect.com

• Liz

• Posts 4
    • Liz is not online. Last active: 04-19-2019, 9:16 PM
    • Connect

Hi Chompie,

I can really relate to your situation, because I experienced hair thinning at a young age too. I tried so many options back then and just tried to live with it until I couldn't anymore. I procrastinated for a very long time about getting a hair system and when I finally took the step, I wish I had done it sooner!  I found the best solution by far is my HD hair system (I'm in my 60s now and have been wearing hair for about 10 years). It looks so natural and I don't have to worry about it falling off or looking wiggy. The best advice I can offer for the most natural looking hair is: 1) get a Hollywood lace base--it is much softer, more comfortable and realistic-- and easy to work with. I have always attached it with Super Tape and it holds very well for about two weeks. 2) Go with a lower hair density such as 80%--it's tempting to want all the hair you can get, but believe me, it won't look or feel natural on you. 3) Avoid long hair at first--I found working with shorter hair (chin length) much easier--I can even cut it myself. 4) Only shave your hair on the top (crown) and fit the hair system base to that area. If you have some hair in the front, at the sides and back (even if it's thin), leave that. The reason is that the system hair will blend in with your own hair and look very natural. There is a lot of information on the HD website and the professionals there are always helpful. But honestly, it's a lot of trial and error, too!  Hope this helps you a little.

• Bibianne

• Posts 274
    • Bibianne is not online. Last active: 04-22-2019, 2:42 PM
    • Connect

Dear Chompie,

We all know how it hurts to be a balding woman, I have experienced it for 20 years. I am wearing a hair piece since 7 years now and wish I have decided on it sooner.

before I answer your question, have you tried hair fibers products like Nanogen? they can help to some extent if you still have some hair but thinner. you only write about dry shampoo, these products give better results. 

I have never worn a wig. I decided to get a hair piece but wanted to wear it with clips because I did not want to commit to it. after 5 days I cut off the clips, shaved the top of my head and started taping. this let me forget (after some time) that i am 'wearing' sth. during the day I hardly remember this fact. sometimes it makes problems like itching, long drying, problems with quality of the pieces etc but 90% of the time I am just happy to have a good looking head of hair. I am in my 40ties and get a message that I am an attractive woman which I never got when I was younger but with thin hair with skin looking through everywhere :(

as regards shaving the whole head I agree with Liz. it is better to leave your hair in the back and sides even if it is very thin. it allows to wear a low pony, looks more natural when the hair line is exposed. all my bio hair together is just one thin strand, but when I am wearing a hair piece it magically blends with it. 

however I am thinking of a day, maybe when I retire, when I will shave my whole head off and maybe wear a wig only outside house,

these are not easy decisions but in life we have to take them sometimes, remember that not taking a decision is also a decision.

good luck whatever you decide! 

• Toddstertall

• Posts 4
    • Toddstertall is not online. Last active: 04-23-2019, 9:20 PM
    • Connect

Chomped, coming from someone who has done a lot-decide what you want and go for it now, while you're young. Wearing a wig is  VERY different from wearing a hairpiece.  There are some great men's wigs out there righ now (finally). I in particular think the HIM Collection by Hairuwear is superlative--cut and style, colors, quality  of the HD synthetic hair. They're great--I wore "Edge" by them for a short time and got compliments from strangers on my great, natural blond hair! But wigs, even with adhesives or tape, feel much more wig-like and limit what you can do in them--no swimming, saunas, etc..   Wigs also come mainly in synthetic fibers, which are really getting more and more like real hair, particularly heat friendly HD fibers,  but still when you see them side-by-side with human hair, even highly processed human hair (as most hair pieces are), it's just not the same. Human hair glows and moves like, well, human hair...!

Hair pieces when glued or taped, are much more flexible in terms of what you can do. Swimming, saunas, working out, hiking--it's infinitely more like having your own real hair in day-to-day life. Wigs may give you an idea of what you would look like with certain styles of a head of hair, but they fall short in giving you true confidence with a new head of hair. Trust me, I've worn both.

Again, decide if you want a full head of hair, and then do something about it--get a a hair replacement unit you glue/tape to your bald head for weeks at a time, and revel in it, enjoy it, make it yours. If anybody comments on, or stares at (people you know)  your drastic change, smile and warmly say, "Yeah, I got some hair--do you like it?"

That's why you have to decide what you want, and then own it. Being on the fence about hair replacement, pondering wigs, well, it's just an ends to a means in my experience. If you decide to get some hair, get a quality unit with a good cut-in, be proud, and own it. It's a big change, but trust me, people--family, friends--will take their cue on how to react to your new change, from YOU! OWN IT! Be proud of yourself and your hair and others will gobble that up...!

(okay, yes, everyone has a negative soul or two in their lives who will not gobble it up because they are so self-consumed and negative oriented--but do you even like these people?!)

__/ __/ Todd--Monterey Bay, California

• Toddstertall

• Posts 4
    • Toddstertall is not online. Last active: 04-23-2019, 9:20 PM
    • Connect
    Oooops, Just noticed you are a woman, bu what I said still applies. Go for full on hair replacement and shake it up, baby!

__/ __/ Todd--Monterey Bay, California

View as RSS news feed in XML