The practicality of full-caps

Sort this thread: Rate this post:
  • CMCCloud

The practicality of full-caps

• Posts 1
    • CMCCloud is not online. Last active: 07-03-2018, 1:19 PM
    • Connect

I'm a man but asking under this forum as I have past shoulder-length hair. I'm a musician (don't get excited, not particularly famous!) and ideally need to retain a certain image for my genre,  I've decided that I'm going to either wear a bonded system and keep long hair, or go full buzz-cut, as anything in between doesn't really work.

I'm a diffuse thinner with mild recession, the most aggressive loss is at my nape and around my ears, and I can't tie my hair up anymore without exposing the loss. I will therefore need a full-cap because of the thinning nape/sides.

With that in mind I have some questions:

- How reliant are full-caps on perfect styling in order to be visually undetectable? As a man my style tends to be more basic with my hair simply parted in the center or brushed back, I can't really get away with fancy bangs to cover the hairline, and it gets very messed up while performing. 

-  Can you tie your hair up with full-caps without it being obvious it's a system? 

-  Does heavy sweat make it look unrealistic or expose the base?

- Are full-caps prone to regular lifts at the nape? Just from feeling around that area it seems like a tricky place to get a decent bond, and it's subject to a lot of movement. 

The preferred outcome is that I keep long hair so I am prepared to tolerate a fair amount of hassle with maintenance, and cost isn't an issue, my primary concern is that it can look natural without feminine/fancy styles.

I would really appreciate any input from experienced wearers. 

Thanks 

• blondie12

Re: The practicality of full-caps

• Posts 921
    • blondie12 is not online. Last active: 01-25-2019, 5:55 PM
    • Connect
    I'm sorry that no one has replied to your post.  I do not wear a full cap; however, I recall seeing several posts that full-caps tend to life at the nape.  You might trying searching on this forum regarding full-caps.  You will probably find a wealth of information.
  • HD-Susan

Re: The practicality of full-caps

• USA
    • Posts 3,886
    • HD-Susan is not online. Last active: 01-02-2019, 3:01 PM
    • Connect

Hi CMCCloud - 

Long hair systems in general are much more work to take care of and the hair itself can be finicky required a lot of trial and error with products and styling. If your hair gets really messed up while performing, my guess is it's going to get exponentially more tangled, and require gentle care and products to remove tangles. In the process the hair will shed and break some, compromising the look of the hair more quickly over time. 

You can tie a full cap system up without it looking obvious provided you have a nice tight bond and a well-designed system. Sweat won't change the way it looks, but could compromise the bond faster if you sweat heavily and often. In addition, you'll want to remove and clean the system at least once a week to clean your scalp and system of bacteria.  

You are right, full caps tend to commonly lift at the nape where your skin is more supple and flexes a lot. This is a common challenge with full caps with any hair length but more of an issue if you're pulling the hair up and putting tension on this area. 

It sounds like you are up for the challenge. I recommend you call and speak with a hair replacement consultant and share your concerns. I feel confident the look you want can be achieved if you're willing to deal with the maintenance.  

Susan • Sr. Content Developer and hair wearer

View as RSS news feed in XML