Canada UPS brokerage fees

Sort this thread: Rate this post:
  • Jamin8

Canada UPS brokerage fees

• Posts 1
    • Jamin8 is not online. Last active: 01-11-2018, 2:24 PM
    • Connect

I recently ordered a starters kit (excited for it to arrive tomorrow). I ordered it with UPS standard shipping. I am a bit new to international shipping and was a bit baffled to learn that I also have to pay a brokerage fee of $23.85 CAD ($17.70 USD) in addition to the standard shipping fee of $24.47 USD. The kit costs $59.00 USD. (Total should be about $137 CAD)

My main issue is that the shipping method causes the buyer to get surprised with additional fees. It is for this reason that I also question if ordering a hair system is a good idea for fear of these additional shipping costs on a much more expensive item. I also wish I would have done my research before placing the order as there are a few threads a few years ago about similar issues though none recently. There was mention into these threads about looking into a solution, however not much has seemed to have changed in a few years I guess. Perhaps it might be helpful to add a note about brokerage/customs fees as there seems to be no mention of it elsewhere besides the forum.

Thanks.

• fergiesquest

Re: Canada UPS brokerage fees

• Posts 71
    • fergiesquest is not online. Last active: 03-03-2019, 3:33 PM
    • Connect

I've been with HD for 2 years or so and I asked the same questions you are now, starting a thread etc ( 2 years ago). HD maintains the brokerage fees are not in their control and other cheaper shipping choices to Canada don't exist. The question you need to ask yourself can you get a hair system for a cheaper cost elsewhere ? What I have found the cost of a hair system + brokerage fees + the difference in our dollar is still cheaper than other choices in Canada..........wearing hair is not a cheap adventure and if your image includes wearing hair it is truly a catch 22. If you find somewhere else with a better price point including good quality let me know through this thread and forward your email address so we can have a conversation...........

Fergie 

• labsha

• Posts 18
    • labsha is not online. Last active: 01-05-2018, 1:33 PM
    • Connect

"HD maintains the brokerage fees are not in their control and other cheaper shipping choices to Canada don't exist." Hmm I call B.S.!!  I order products from an American company "Plexus" and funny how THEY seem to have control over who pays duty on their products. Guess what......Plexus covers duty/brokerage fees on their products, so HD cannot say they have no control!!Tongue Tied I am so sick of the costs! Not only do we have to deal with HD not covering the duty/brokerage fees, but the shipping fees are ridiculous! I ordered products that did not even total $30.00 and I had no cheaper shipping option other than $35.98!! Plus dealing with the exchange rate (I realize its not HD's fault for the low value of our Canadian dollar) PLUS then having to cut a cheque for $15.81 duty/brokerage fees when the supplies arrived! Total bill for $28.97 worth of hair supplies? A whopping $98.47!!  Angry 

• Astovold

• Posts 4
    • Astovold is not online. Last active: 01-19-2019, 1:38 AM
    • Connect

I just had to resend my new system back, as they were requesting $310.00 from me in brokerage fees/shipping!!!! 

I am so terribly upset. On top of that, they aren't really willing to help cover some of the costs or come up with any solutions. There's no way I can afford over $600.00 yearly in shipping alone. 

I just dont understand. How does a $800.00 unit requires $310.00 in fees?!  Im one unhappy Canadian. 

View as RSS news feed in XML