Anyone else getting bald spots from clips???

Sort this thread: Rate this post:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Reply to this thread
  • Connie

Anyone else getting bald spots from clips???

• Posts 34
    • Connie is not online. Last active: 03-11-2019, 10:44 PM
    • Connect

I have been using a hair system for 15 years now and have been using clips to secure it over my own hair.  I take it off at night. My hair is very thin on top.

Lately though, I have been getting bald spots where I clip and I am thinking about asking the technicians at Hair Direct to sew the clips on each new hair system in a different location each time to see if my own hair there grows back. (This may be really unrealistic)  It's always been a small problem though because I probably pull my own hair too much when clipping it on to get a secure fit. But it seems to be getting worse lately. And my hair across the front is getting so thin there now so there is not much to clip it to even if the clips were moved!   I am also considering using tape just in the front where I usually clip, since it is so thin anyway! Does anyone have an experience with this or words of wisdom as to next steps!  My hair system is feeling too loose. 

I love this forum by the way... it is great to know there are so many women out there like me.

• Hairyette

Re: Anyone else getting bald spots from clips???

• Posts 5
    • Hairyette is not online. Last active: 06-26-2011, 1:45 AM
    • Connect

Yes, I have the same problem.  Have been wearing custom clip on hairpieces for at least 20 years now.  They're 3/4 pieces allowing my own hairline to show.  To help a bit from the stress on the hair...I've always briefly unclipped after clipping...to ease any hair clip tension on the hair...and than reclipping gently.  Still...because of the many years of this it was inevitable to have small bald spots deveoping wearing daily year after year.  It does help to move the clips frequently...but, i confess to rarely doing it because, frankly, it's a real pain.  And...I have lots of clips because i need them for such a larger piece.  I really don't believe there's anything that will regrow that hair back. BTW...I too take mine off at night.

Sometimes I don't really clip the top because that's where my scalp is the most sensitive.  I just open the clips and slide them into the hair like a comb...and leave them open and leave the security to the rest of the clips.  Sometimes it works...other times not so much.  Eventually, i will probably end up taping the top...and one day...move to an HD tape or glue on piece. But than it will be shaving time...and i'm not ready for that yet.

• Connie

• Posts 34
    • Connect

Hairyette,

Thanks for responding to this blog.  I had bought a few tape strips and some Rapid Release some time ago, anticipating that I may need it someday .So yesterday, I tried placing a tape strip just in front in the balding area where the clips would normally secure the piece and pressing the clips directly to the tape.  It held secure all day and felt comfortable!  Then I used the Rapid Release to remove the adhesive tape from my scalp last night and took my hair system off as I usually do.  I did the same routine again this morning, and it has held secure all day. This way I did not have to mess with taking the clips off and then if it didn't work, I would have to sew the clips back on. You are right;  that IS such a pain!  So I think I will do this for awhile.  :)

And I am like you;  I am not ready to do the shaving thing either if there is another option .  I will try your suggestion too of briefly unclipping after clipping to ease the tension on the hair to see if that helps on the sides and the back.  My hair system is a 3/4 piece also allowing my own hair to show, but I have had to increase the size of the base a little over the years.  I wear six clips, two in front, two on the side and two in the back.  It is a thick density hair piece because my own hair (what's left of it) is actually very thick where it shows.  I do have to trim my own hair quite frequently because my hair style is short, but it is not hard for me to do.  I would actually like to go longer, so I may be asking HD to make each hair piece (I order one every six months) an inch longer each time, so it looks like it is growning naturally with my own hair until I get the longer length that I want. 

• HD-Lisa

• Posts 551
    • HD-Lisa is not online. Last active: 03-13-2019, 12:38 PM
    • Connect

Hi Connie,

What you are experiencing is called traction alopecia.  It is caused from the stress of the clips on your growing hair.  

You are doing the correct thing by having the clips placed in different areas.   Since you continue to experience the hair loss, I would suggest making your base about 3/4" to 1" larger.   This will allow you to clip below the areas you are now. 

I hope this helps.  Big Smile

HD LisaParadise 

Lisa | Hair Replacement Consultant | lisa@hairdirect.com

• HD-Susan

• USA
    • Posts 3,886
    • HD-Susan is not online. Last active: 01-02-2019, 3:01 PM
    • Connect

Actually, there are two things that can happen.

Yes, you can get traction alopecia from clips, but also, the clips actually break off your hair. I had bald spots the exact shape of the clips but they eventually grew back, after about 6 months or a year of not wearing clips.

With clips, I usually recommend putting in at least two times as many clips as you actually need. You clip half of them (every other clip). Usually during the course of the day the clips become uncomfortable and you can just unclip each one and clip the one next to it. The ones that aren't clipped don't bother you since they sit flush with the edge of the piece.

Susan • Sr. Content Developer and hair wearer

• Connie

• Posts 34
    • Connect

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for reassuring me about moving the clips each time. And I did have my system base enlarged about a 1/2 inch to an inch I believe about a year ago which did help, but I may have to do it again in the near future. 

• Connie

• Posts 34
    • Connect

Hi Curly Sue, 

Using twice as many clips and clipping only half is a great idea; never thought of that, thanks!  And maybe that will help with my bald spots; it would be nice if the hair would grow back eventually. 

I took a look at your website and what a great resource it is!  Especially if I need to go with shaving and taping some day;  I will definitely need some help with that! 

• natalie53

• Posts 2
    • natalie53 is not online. Last active: 09-13-2016, 6:52 PM
    • Connect
    Hi, I have permanent bald spot from the clips right on both of the sides of my head. It hasn't grown back. I went to full wig but I was always worried that it would come off and the elastic always see to stretch out. I went to adhesive and taps.  
  • Connie

• Posts 34
    • Connect

Hi Natalie,

I am afraid that my bald spots may be permanent too but not sure yet.  So do you have a full cap now or a partial hair system?  And do you glue just in the front?

• HD-Susan

• USA
    • Posts 3,886
    • HD-Susan is not online. Last active: 01-02-2019, 3:01 PM
    • Connect

Hi Connie--

It took about 6 months before my spots starting filling in after I stopped wearing clips, if that's any consolation to you. A lot of the times it's breakage due to the metal clips, not traction alopecia. Fingers crossed for you Smile

Susan • Sr. Content Developer and hair wearer

• rebl1231

• Posts 1
    • rebl1231 is not online. Last active: 02-06-2018, 9:52 PM
    • Connect

I am super excited about the idea of adding more clips and only using half.

My question for the group is, has anyone had luck regrowing bald spots from traction alopecia using topical rubs? I'm thinking along the lines of Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Biotin, etc. I have tried a few different products and they mostly feel like they are doing a nice job of moisturizing and soothing the area but I haven't seen noticable hair growth.

I have not been as diligent as I should be about moving my clips around because I'm worried that I'll just create MORE bald patches on my already bald-patch covered head :(

• wolerm

• Posts 1
    • wolerm is not online. Last active: 11-11-2017, 11:18 AM
    • Connect
    SmileThat is an awesome idea.....I love it.  Thank you Susan.  I do move my clips occasionally but having 2 times as many and rotating which ones I use is a MUCH better option!!!
  • chrisforhair

• United States
    • Posts 98
    • chrisforhair is not online. Last active: 11-13-2017, 3:36 PM
    • Connect
    Unfortunately tape also causes hair loss. What I suggest for clients is to just go to a wig, even if it is just for awhile to give your follicles a break. A wig sort of spreads out the tension so that the hair follicles are not stressed. Also, removing it at night gives your scalp a break. Wigs have improved dramatically in the past few years, many people are calling for them just for a fashion change. That stigma is finally disappearing as the wig manufacturers are making them more realistic.  I do not recommend however lace wigs unless they are glueless.

www.chrisforhair.com

• NatKat227

• Posts 2
    • NatKat227 is not online. Last active: 02-20-2018, 9:04 PM
    • Connect

Very common with clip-on toppers.   I'm a stylist in Austin and I specialize in women's hair loss, so I've seen this many times.   Moving the clips around is definitely a good start.   But depending on how long your hair is, you might have another option.   I wrote an article that was published in The Link magazine, which is published by The American Hair Loss Council, that explains what I did for one client.   It's too long to explain here.  My article is titled Tips for Terrific Toppers, here's a link to The Link issue.   It's on page 28-29.   But another option is to get an integration hair piece and have it (semi) permanently installed.    

https://issuu.com/ahlc/docs/thelink18 

Good Luck!   I know that toppers can be a "catch 22", you get one to cover thinning but sometimes hair is too thin to attach.   ??  So what do you do?  

Natalie 

• Annie D

• Posts 10
    • Annie D is not online. Last active: 01-19-2018, 4:34 PM
    • Connect

Based on my experience only you and your own hair can decide when clips are no longer in your best interest.

I used clips for about 8 years before I was ready to make the move to tape. Though in hindsight I probably should have done it much sooner. I also knew the clips were causing damage to my bio hair leaving me with broken hair and/or bald spots. So I moved them, enlarged my system and even clipped in new areas, all the steps offered by many replying to this topic but eventually more damage just occurred to the new areas.

I guess I was afraid of having a circle on top of my head where the system would be regularly attached but not sure why it freaked me out so much - who really sees it but you??? It's all about looking natural. So in the end I made the move and must say I found a real freedom leaving clips in the dust and going to tape, first it is so much more comfortable than clips, second your hair really becomes a more permanent part of you (after all it's your hair, bought and paid for Big Smile ) and third my bio hair has lasted without further damage.... I reattach monthly and no longer have to think about it every moment. Big Smile

Annie

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML