Sort this thread: Rate this post:
  • Danielle

Can I use dry shampoo?

• United States
    • Posts 46
    • Danielle is not online. Last active: 10-23-2014, 12:04 AM
    • Connect
    Oscar Blandi makes this amazing dry shampoo.  Is this safe for indian remy hair?  Also, do I really have to condition and use the finishing rinse every time I was my hair?  It is getting oily after just a few days. Thanks!

~ Danielle ~

• HD-Susan

Re: Can I use dry shampoo?

• USA
    • Posts 3,778
    • HD-Susan is not online. Last active: 10-30-2014, 6:14 PM
    • Connect

You can use dry shampoo--you should experiment with that if you are interested in trying it. Washing is not as critical as conditioning. You do need to keep conditioning as often as possible or the hair will quickly become dry and brittle. I'm not sure what you mean by "finishing rinse" but you should also use leave-in conditioner after you wash and condition or wet spritz your hair. If you have straight hair you might not need to use the leave-in every day. If you have hair that is at all processed with a wave or perm, you should use the leave in at least once a day.

I can't figure out why your unit is getting oily--that's really odd in my experience. I wonder if anyone else has much experience with this. 

Do you mean it gets oily underneath where the unit hair meets your hair? Or do you mean on the top surface of the unit?

Danielle--are you sure the unit you are wearing is human hair and not synthetic?

Susan • Sr. Content Developer and hair wearer, formerly known as CurlySue.

• Danielle

• United States
    • Posts 46
    • Connect

My hair underneath the unit is oily....uugh.., but I mean so is the unit hair and that is what is bothering me because I don't want to have to wash it so frequently and ruin the hair.  Yes, it is human hair, it holds curl and flat iron and it is supposed to be human. 

The finishing rinse is just like a conditioner that I use in the shower after my conditioner.  I do not use a leave in because the two I use in the shower seem heavy and it gets oily so quickly. 

I will definitely order with less density and maybe straight instead of light wave next time, but the oily issue is bothering me.  Thanks Sue!

~ Danielle ~

• HD-Susan

• USA
    • Posts 3,778
    • Connect

Danielle-

Try going without the finishing rinse for a while. I have a feeling the unit is getting dirty because one or more of your products is not rinsing out or is leaving a film on the hair. 

Please post a list of all of the products you are using, from start to finish. Are you using gel, mousse, hairspray? Anything like that?

I will email you later today or tomorrow about the pics you sent and give you some helpful feedback. I have to run for now!Yes

• Danielle

• United States
    • Posts 46
    • Connect

Sue - I emailed you this, but posted for others to see the products. 

I have just been using the ones that HairClub gave me. 

Trima for Women Shampoo, Conditioner, and Finishing Rinse - all in the shower.

Sometimes I use Maxxam Alive - bacteria enzyme scalp cleanser after shampooing - then wash it out.  (HCMW product too)

Towel dry, blow dry, flat iron. No styling products at all. 

For the system, my stylist at HCMW gave me:

Derma Lace plus by New Image for poly or lace grafts (co-polymer full head bond for skin or lace bases)

Trax Clear Lace Solvent

and scalp protector for oily skin

Everyone: please let me know any product suggestions you have.  I am not particularily pleased with any of my products at this point.   Although, in the last few days, I have gathered that I need

1. a satin or silk pillowcase

2. microfiber towels and

3. dry shampoo

~ Danielle ~

• HD-Susan

• USA
    • Posts 3,778
    • Connect

Hey Danielle-

I responded to your email but will respond to the products et al here.

I haven't heard of any of the products you are using, which is not a big deal.  I had trouble finding info on the Trima line, Maxxam Alive or Trax solvent product. These might be HCMW private label products. Could be similar to other products on the market, just under a different name. Derma Lace appears to be a standard white glue.

The attachment problems you have are likely not due to the glue, but to the fact that you have long hair under your unit that you are gluing to and that you aren't able to really thoroughly clean your scalp or the unit. I don't really believe that tape will be much different for you if you are gluing to long hair and a unit and scalp that is not properly cleaned. 

Here are the steps most of us use to clean our scalps and units (I copied this from one of my old posts to save time!):

Most of us clean our scalps with the following type of regimen (or similar):

Clean the scalp and remove all adhesive with a citrus solvent
    Shave hair down to the skin
    Scrub at least 2 times with an exfoliating glove and then dish soap
    Rinse well.
    Apply scalp protector (some people use Maxim which is an antiperspirant that you might want to try. Do a search for it in the forum)

Most people clean the base of the unit with the following type of regimen (or similar):

Use 91% alcohol (Lace Release) to remove tape
    Use mirror slide/CD slide/microfiber towel to remove glue from base (you can search for these methods in the forum--the CD slide might really help you out)
    Spray base with citrus solvent or soak the base in solvent
    Thoroughly clean the base with dish soap to cut the oils from the solvent
    Rinse thoroughly with the underside of the unit facing UP towards the water
    Wash/condition the hair
    Apply tape if you are using tape

To bond:
    Follow the directions for the adhesive you are using (1-2 coats etc)
    Spray Adjust-A-Bond on the tape/glue
    Position unit on head, press into place.
    Sometimes it takes a half hour or so for the bond to cure.

Here is a list of the most popular products, all available in the HD store. If you get any tape, make sure you get a tape that is formulated for nylon. You may want to call HD on that one. They will help you even though you're not a customer yet.

These are the basic steps but many people have their own variation. If you are not following all of these basic steps you will not get a good bond. If you follow the steps and still don't get a good bond you could have a body chemistry issue at which time you would need to follow the same cleaning protocol but start experimenting with different adhesives. 

Danielle--I think you need to figure out a way to get the base and scalp really clean before adding more glue. Adding new glue on top of old glue will not work. I know you said your stylist would not clean the unit but you should demand that they detach it and clean the unit and scrub your scalp and possibly trim back some of the hair you are gluing on to. OR you could switch to clips in the front and cut in some long bangs to mask the hairline a bit. Then when you are done with the club you can get a full scalp bonding piece that you can attach and detach on your own. I know you probably don't want to switch to clips and bangs but you might drive yourself nuts trying to deal with cleaning that front edge especially if it is not being scrubbed and cleaned properly at least every two weeks when they take the unit off.

As for the hair itself--because your hair is processed with a wave, the heat from the flat ironing is drying it out even more. You need to apply a thermal protectant to the hair before flat ironing it. Try not to flat iron more than a couple of times per week and always use at least a spray on thermal protector. Always flat iron on the lowest setting. Try to find something that is not heavy on alcohol. Try the showering method I mentioned in the email to keep your unit dry but still allow you to wash your growing hair.

I can't speak for the products you are using but I salvaged a dying integration unit with Nearly Natural Softening Solution--that is the product that brought me to HD. I don't know that there is anything wrong with the products you are using. You may just need to condition more. I love Nearly Natural Silk Protein Shampoo and Conditioner. You use the Softening Solution in between shampooing and conditioning (follow directions on the bottle). You can use the Softening Solution with any shampoo and conditioner though. I also occasionally use Pureology Nanoworks (which is way too expensive and no better than the NN Silk Protein, I'm just waiting for the bottle to run out!) and KMS Silksheen or Goldwell Kerasilk. Some people like BioSilk as well but I have never used the shampoo or conditioner. I swear by Nearly Natural Moisture Mist Leave-in Conditioner. You do not need to wash daily. I think you are washing twice a week which is fine. I would just recommend that you rinse really well and make sure you add leave-in conditioner after you are done. 

Many people on this site also like the Blue Max Shampoo, conditioner and serum to keep hair soft. I'm not sure if it will restore damaged hair though.

I'm thinking now that the dry shampoo might not be great because you are supposed to use a bristle brush with it which is really not good for the unit hair. 

Try to use cool water to rinse your hair, hot will make it more dry and matted. Condition, condition, condition! You may want to invest in a water softener for your shower if you plan to wear hair for the long term. This is the one I use: http://www.aquasana.com/product_detail.php?product_id=46 Filters need to be replaced every 6 months and Aquasana usually runs sales so they are $40 or less with no shipping charges.

I'm going to stop here and let you breathe! Indifferent

Let me know if I lost you anywhere. Anyone else is welcome to chime in!

• Danielle

• United States
    • Posts 46
    • Connect
    Thanks, Sue!  As always, great info!  Thank you for sharing.  I am going to check out some of the shampoos and conditioners you suggested.  You are right, its not clean enough underneath the bonding.  It needs to be shaved for a better hold.  Sue, how many heads of hair do you get per year?  I am thinking about 6 or 8 for myself.   Also, do you wear a full or partial?  Thanks again ~

~ Danielle ~

• HD-Susan

• USA
    • Posts 3,778
    • Connect

Hi Danielle-

I get 4 units per year and wear for three months each. I would imagine 6 would be plenty for yourself--that would mean you get two full months out of each one.

View as RSS news feed in XML