Dying Blonde Ultra Thin Skin Units to Dark Brown

Sort this thread: Rate this post:
  • AdamBloom

Dying Blonde Ultra Thin Skin Units to Dark Brown

• Posts 8
    • AdamBloom is not online. Last active: 02-11-2019, 7:41 PM
    • Connect
    A while back, whether it was on this forum or another, someone had mentioned getting a light blonde ultra thin skin unit and dying it black/dark for a better appearance on ventilation. (I wear color 1b)

Does anyone do this regularly for their thin skin units and have photos or just good word of advice for this? Does it greatly enhance its appearance and avoid the "U-like" ventilation? I've been contemplating doing this, as I love the thinness of skin and its benefits, but it's only the appearance of ultra thin skin ventilation I don't like for darker units. Thank you. 
  • HD-Hannah

Re: Dying Blonde Ultra Thin Skin Units to Dark Brown

• Posts 206
    • HD-Hannah is not online. Last active: 02-14-2019, 2:59 PM
    • Connect

Hello AdamBloom,

We do offer a service called "recolor", where blonde hair is used in the front, top, and part areas, and then colored to the desired color when completed.

We do not offer recolor on the entire system,  and do not really recommend getting an entirely blonde unit to color because there is the risk of not being able to achieve an even color throughout the system. We find that thin skin bases with recolor and transitional density in the front hairline give an extremely natural appearance!

Kind regards,

Hannah 

Hannah | Hair Replacement Consultant | hannah@hairdirect.com

• AdamBloom

• Posts 8
    • AdamBloom is not online. Last active: 02-11-2019, 7:41 PM
    • Connect

Thank you so much for the thorough response, Hannah. You answered a lot of questions to what I've been wondering a while and more. When you say colored transitional density thin skins (I'm assuming you mean the hairline and/or crown with that phrase) can look unnatural, are you also including the thinnest available .03mm units including the one that Bill wears? 

Secondly, what about the same scenario but with a lace/swiss lace unit? Do you feel a colored whole unit where density transitions can look natural if it was blonde then colored to 1b? Is it mainly because of the risk of uneven coloring? Thanks again. Anyone else with similar or different opinions are more than welcome to chime in their 2 cents.

• HD-Hannah

• Posts 206
    • HD-Hannah is not online. Last active: 02-14-2019, 2:59 PM
    • Connect
    Hello AdamBloom,

The transitional density is done in the first few millimeters of the front hairline on lace and skin bases. If a unit doesn't have a transitional density or recolor, it doesn't always look unnatural. This can also depend on the amount of density, as lighter density units are more likely to look natural. 

Recolor isn't always necessary- depending on the hair color, bleached knots are fine! We primarily suggest recolor for darker colors. If the unit has a dark hair color, it can be hard to bleach the knots to complete invisibility, so that is why recolor is offered.

With lace units, just like with skins, we do not recommend getting an entirely blonde unit to color for the same reason mentioned above. Getting the color even and consist throughout the entire system can be difficult is the main reason we do not advise it. 

Kind regards,
    Hannah

Hannah | Hair Replacement Consultant | hannah@hairdirect.com

View as RSS news feed in XML