Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Reply to this thread
  • AMD53

Clip-In Topper

• Posts 22
    • AMD53 is not online. Last active: 12-22-2012, 9:40 AM
    • Connect

Hi Ladies:

I was just wondering if I could get some feedback from some of you ladies who have/had clip-in toppers.  I just ordered mine.  It also can be bonded in the future, if necessary.  My question is - did it "feel" okay?  Did it move around at all?  Did the hairline look good?  (I will be wearing bangs), but also have a lace front... 

Anyway, I was wondering about your experiences...  Thank you so much!  Annette

• Bibianne

Re: Clip-In Topper

• Posts 274
    • Bibianne is not online. Last active: 04-22-2019, 2:42 PM
    • Connect

My unit was clip-in, for me it felt bad - the clips were pulling my hair, the unit did not hold well due to my fine hair being clipped to. and the worst was that I had to take it off for bed and my head looked so miserable after wearing it. so after a week I took off the clips, shaved my head and bonded. but I also wanted to start with clips to get used to the idea of wearing hair without shaving at the beginning.

Only if you plan to wear the unit occasionally, like for parties, I would leave the clips.

• VickieD

• Posts 194
    • VickieD is not online. Last active: 04-21-2019, 11:15 AM
    • Connect

Annette,

I had a clip-in topper for about 3 months.  My experience was simliar to Bibianne's in that it wasn't very comfortable to wear.  It pulled my bio hair - especially when the wind blew or when I tried to lay down.  The topper better than my bio hair alone, but because it sat over top, it never looked very natural to me (you couldn't see a natural part or my scalp.)  But it wasn't overly obvious because it was cut well and blended nicely. 

Since then, I started bonding and can see a big difference.  My hair looks more natural and I can style it different ways.  But looking back it was a natural step for me and I'm glad I did it.  Good luck to you!!

Vickie

• LAD

• Posts 107
    • LAD is not online. Last active: 03 Apr 2019, 1:39 PM
    • Connect

Same here.   I had clips for about 2 months, and to be honest, I hated them.  I LOVED having hair, but they were so uncomfortable.  I hated to take it off before bed, I hated that it pulled my bio hair, and eventually I know that having the clips in those same spots, any bio hair I had there would have been gone.

I bonded 2 months later and it was the best decision.  It really feels like part of you. 

• moesl

• Posts 22
    • moesl is not online. Last active: 09-26-2018, 3:26 PM
    • Connect
    I have a clip in topper - my hair is very fine - I went to a salon who do mostly black hair - I had a round braid made on the top of my hair - the braid was made with my own hair and bought hair (very cheap to buy) - my stylist braided my hair and the bought hair into a round braid on the top of my head - she then sewed it down - my topper is clipped onto this braid - MAGIC!!!!  I have been in the worst wind and it stayed in place - go to a salon who specialize in black hair - they know what to do!!  Good luck!!

Moe

• lillian22

• Massachusetts
    • Posts 207
    • lillian22 is not online. Last active: 07-08-2018, 9:21 AM
    • Connect
    just be VERY careful because that often causes traction alopecia (especially if your hair is already thin and/or weak) and will make your hair loss way worse. (just a warning)

~Lil~

• Bibianne

• Posts 274
    • Connect
    moesl do you sleep in the unit? does the braid hold well as the bio hair grows?
  • moesl

• Posts 22
    • Connect
    No, I take it off at night which is really nice!!  I get the braid redone and tightened about every 5 weeks.

Moe

• sleeplesshouse

• Posts 233
    • sleeplesshouse is not online. Last active: 02-10-2016, 7:15 AM
    • Connect

For the ladies who previously posted on this thread & said they went from clip in to bonding over a few months period.......and that one of the reason they stopped the clip in was because of the potential for traction alopecia......my question is, did you shave to bond?  Did you end up shaving the area that you were clipping with the clip-in?

Sleeplesshouse

• cleo

• Posts 7
    • cleo is not online. Last active: 07-28-2015, 4:08 PM
    • Connect

I Have worn a clip in topper for 8 years, no problems. The trick is the correct base size, medium size clips and changing clip position from time to time. Shave only the front hairline portion and use supertape there. You will have a strong hold as a bond.

• moesl

• Posts 22
    • Connect
    I agree with Cleo - the trick is to change the clip positions - something I do regularly - I, however, haven't had to shave the front hairline as of yet!!  I use a small clip in front and haven't had any problem!!  I love being able to remove the topper every night - maintenance is SO easy!!

Moe

• Bibianne

• Posts 274
    • Connect
    moesl:

I love being able to remove the topper every night - maintenance is SO easy!!

yeah it is comfortable to take off the unit for sleeping but I did not want to look miserable for my husband every night :-(

• VickieD

• Posts 194
    • VickieD is not online. Last active: 04-21-2019, 11:15 AM
    • Connect

That's something that I hadn't thought to include before.  I didn't care so much about my husband seeing me without the topper, but I did care about my kids (2 boys).  They knew I had it because I had to take it off at night, and I was very bothered by that.  They said I looked beautiful without it - sweet kids! 

Once I bonded I knew I didn't want them to see me without me hair.  Since then, they've asked where my "wig" went and I told them I don't wear it anymore.  They have said my hair looks great and they don't know why I wore it before.  I know I'm fibbing a little bit, but my new hair makes me feel more "human" and to them, I just look their mom again.  Smile

Vickie

• Bibianne

• Posts 274
    • Connect

Vickie, I also have 2 sons :-) I told them I have had my hair thickened so they do not use the word 'wig' in presence of people from outside the family. once the younger one saw my unit drying on the styro head and broke in tears as he thought it was my head! it is funny and sad at the same time :-D

as regards my husband he did not see me shaved. I hide every week I do the de/re and that's also why I hate this moment.

• Little Redhead

• Posts 80
    • Little Redhead is not online. Last active: 01-25-2019, 1:29 PM
    • Connect

I wore a clip on topper for probably at least 10 years.  It was fine for me then.  When I took it off at night, I would wear a bandana.  I never said anything to my 11 year old daughter.  I don't think she realized anything.  Now that I shave and tape, I am so much happier with my hair.  It's comfortable, I wake up with hair, I come out of the shower with hair.  But best of all, I have had so many compliments on my hair now that I go through Hair Direct.  I finally broke down and told my 11 year old, and she was just like, "OK, so what, why are you telling me this?"  It was nothing to her.  Now I don't have to hide anything from her which makes me very happy.  I attach every week, and it's only a couple of hours of my time.  Well worth it!!!

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML